So I did a join up with my gentler! That may have been one of the coolest things ever...
This little mare I have been working with is very timid. And still 2 weeks later she still isn't comfortable with me coming into her pen. So Kirsty said to get her out and it was time for a join up, the whole time I was thinking 'yea, sure like this is gonna work out, Join up will be to much for her' (right now reading this my dad is thinking, Join up isn't to much! but I didn't have enough confidence in my horse)
Well I was wrong... I sent her around, she gave me all four signs, when I went for the invite she came right up to my shoulder. It was amazing!
Now again, this is a horse that you really have to do advance and retreat with to get her not to just run away from you, and yet I was able to communicate in her own natural language and she responded! (did that make sense?)
We also learned how to teach the horses to tie... I'm not going to explain that all.
Then today we long lined the starters out around the farm. My mare Delilah did very well, she is a little pushy. She wants to rush away, but that will get worked out!
So as you can see... they had a plan, they just didn't fall in love with it.
I think that was really good for all of us students to see, sometimes we wont make it as far as we wanted... but take what the horse will give you and try again tomorrow.
There was no "rider" today, but the horse still learned it was ok for someone to be belly over on her back. A little weight up there didn't hurt her at all!
Hopefully we will beable to see the first rider on her soon.
Then we bathed our gentlers, again I wondered how it was going to go...
but this time I had decided to just try to put faith in her and not pre-judge the situation. Plus being with an instructor kinda clamed me down, Maya just stood there like 'well do it!'. So Brenda and I started and it went really well! We even got her face, now even my well trained horses at home are not happy with their faces being done!
I am excited about changing some things in my routine at home.
Can not believe this is my last week here. I am happy to come home to my horses and kids, but I absolutly love being a student. A month has flown by... but hopefully it will feel like the time goes quickly before I can come back again too.

I can't wait for you to come home, but I'm glad you had such an awesome experience! I hope everything goes as planned and you end up back in California again for the next leg of your horse-y journey!!!
ReplyDeleteYour excitment is caching and we need you back! DAD
ReplyDeleteHi, Denise! I just read your Friday post but it wouldn't let me Comment for some reason. So, I hope you get this one instead. It really sounds like this was a wonderful experience for you! But, Denise, it's you that's who's so wonderful!!!! You simply love these animals, and it has shown every time you wrote about your experiences!!! It's YOU, Denise!!! We still can't wait to get you home!!! You are a wonderful girl, and we love you SO MUCH!!!!
ReplyDeleteBe careful for the next couple of days so you make it back safe to us. LOVE, mom